Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Open Door

How often do you get a chance to talk with a kid from Kazakhstan about Jesus? Well, last Sunday I was surprised to have that opportunity. After the 11 a.m. service, I was introduced to Laura. She’s a 17 year old exchange student living with a family in my small group. Kazakhstan is a former Soviet block country where two thirds of the country is Islam. This is Laura’s backdrop and worldview.

The host mom introduced me to Laura in the back of the auditorium by saying that Laura had some questions about Christianity. As our conversation began, it was very evident to me that Laura was not shy. She had some wonderful questions and was intent in finding solid answers. She explained that her host family had been taking her to church over the past few weeks which she really enjoyed. Then she said this, “I don’t want to just come to church and just sit. I want to understand what’s being said. I want to explore what this is all about. So… my first question is- who is this Jesus? I’ve heard people say that he saved people when he was on the cross. What does that mean?”

Wow, what great questions! It was as if this girl’s mind and heart was a clean canvas and I and the others around her had the opportunity to paint a new and beautiful picture of God with her. I honestly felt a little pressure in that moment. I wanted my first words to be right. I wanted her to understand. How sad it would be if she walked away confused and disappointed with my answers. Because of the busy environment around us, it felt like we only had a couple of minutes to talk. How could I communicate the story of God, the person of Jesus, the way to salvation and God’s desire to have a personal relationship with her in just a couple of minutes? I gave it my best shot. She seemed to understand and vowed to continue to explore, to ask questions and to have another conversation at another date. She was grateful and I was relieved that it went well. Her host mom seemed grateful and relieved as well.

I drove home from church on Sunday excited about the possibility of beginning a redemptive friendship with this young lady but I was also deeply challenged to do three very important things in the meantime.

• First, I need to be devoted to pray for Laura. It seemed that God was revealing himself to her in a new way. I need to pray that her heart would remain open to experience God’s pursuit of her.

• Second, I need to work to be clearer in how I describe my faith. Can I clearly articulate God’s redemptive work in this world and his work in my life in a compelling, authentic way?

• Third, I need to help the people in my small group grow in both these areas. We all can be clear and helpful to Laura in her pursuit in understanding who God truly is.

Paul, a traveling pastor and evangelist, experienced similar things. Take a look at this passage. Wow, does this nail my situation on Sunday!

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Colossians 4.2-6

Who are you praying for this week? Who could be behind the door God is opening for you? How are you preparing for the conversations that God may bring your way?

No comments:

Post a Comment