Sunday, November 6, 2011

Camera Snob

I’ll admit it, I’m a self-proclaimed camera snob. Just ask my friends or family members who have traveled with me. As soon as they pull out their camera phone or pocket-point-and-shoot thingy, I scoff at their feeble attempts to a capture a beautiful scene with such inferior technology. As they awkwardly hold their cell phone out in front of their face, they’ll hear me say in a condescending tone, “Are you really trying to capture that gorgeous sunset with that piece of junk?” You see, I have some really nice camera equipment that I’ve purchased over the years. In recent years, photography has grown past being just a hobby to being a second source of income.

So, there I am at the University of Michigan Big House, one of my favorite places on the planet, with my favorite camera and lens set-ups. I have solid hopes of capturing great action shots of my favorite football team. With incredible envy, I watch the pros move to their places on the sidelines. But as I watch the other photography “hacks” around me with their phone and pocket cameras, I’m feeling pretty good about my situation. I have the Canon 7D with a 70-200 mm 2.8/f lens that I’ve paid a bunch of money for with my photography earnings. I’m not on the sidelines with the pros (yet), but I’m certain people will be impressed with the shots I get in this great venue.

From the front row of the end zone, I began shooting warm-ups. My lens is zoning in tight on my favorite players. The shutter is firing off in rapid bursts. I’m in “the zone” as I scan the field through the camera eye piece looking for candid moments to capture. But, when I stop to check to make sure my settings are rights, I realize something is wrong. None of the images I shot were being captured. On the screen on the back of my camera was this horrifying message, “No CF card.” There was no memory card in my camera?! Panicked, I throw open the memory card door to be sure. This couldn’t be. How could there not be a memory card? But in fact, it was gone. With a sick feeling in my stomach, I remembered putting in my camera bag and planning to pop it into the camera later. But, at that critical moment, my camera bag and memory card were a mile away in the trunk of my car. It would take over an hour to retrieve it. So for the next three hours, that camera, valued over several thousands of dollars was worthless. With great irony, a kid carrying a $10 disposable camera stepped in front of me and snapped off a couple shots. My top end, expensive camera was a paperweight hanging from my neck, while his Wal-Mart special was capturing images of memories he’d enjoy later. Who would be the better photographer that day?

On the final stop on our tour of the seven churches of Revelation, we come to Laodicea. This city was known for its great wealth and independence. In 60 AD, the people faced a devastating earthquake but because of their wealth, they refused aid from Rome to rebuild. Their wealth staved off dependence on the Roman world power. But Jesus had something interesting to say to the church of Laodicea. He told them that though they seemed rich, they were not. As a matter of fact, they were spiritually poor. He called them lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—worthless water. Not hot enough to clean and not cold enough to refresh. They were lukewarm to the point where Jesus said he wanted to spit them out of his mouth. Strong words for people who had become enamored with themselves and their prosperity to the point where their spiritual hearts had grown dead and worthless. Laodicea had lots of bling but no spiritual value.

Does Ada Bible Church, an American church located in an affluent community, need to pay attention to Jesus’ words to Laodicea? Absolutely, because there’s incredible danger in success. What begins as God’s wonderful blessing can slowly turn to a curse when we become self-focused and distracted with our stuff and our programs. “ABC” could take on a new meaning: Attendance, Buildings, and Cash. How unfortunate would it be if we lose our heart for Christ and our love for people and become an expensive ornate paperweight hanging around God’s neck? I love how Jesus closes his letter to Laodicea: he invites them to dinner—one of the greatest gestures of friendship and community of that day. He invites them back into intimate community with him.

Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. Revelation 3.19-20

Churches can grow lukewarm, distracted, and worthless over time but so can Christ-followers. We look at our wealth and prosperity and lose our humble approach to serving God and people. If this is you, hear Jesus’ invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment