Friday, August 17, 2012

From Haiti to a Yacht

On a beautiful July afternoon, I found myself on a 42 foot yacht on Lake Michigan. In case you’re wondering, this doesn’t happen to me often. One of the guys in a men’s group I lead invited our group for an afternoon out on the lake. I knew he had a boat but I didn’t know it was a yacht. Turns out, yachts are really cool. We had a great time! We played cards, fished off the back, told stories, and shared about the life issues we’re involved in. At times I thought, “Wow! I’ve got a good gig. I get to do ministry on a yacht, today. People with yachts need to  love Jesus too, don’t they?” My mission that day was that of luxury.

But as nice as that yacht was, I struggled internally on that afternoon. Just a couple Fridays prior, I was in Haiti building a goat pen for a church that can’t sustain itself financially. The people in this community were dependant on others for clean water, clothing, and much of their food. As we cruised through the Grand Haven channel on the way to the big lake, I felt a deep tension between the sites of that day and my memories of Haiti. There was nothing in eyesight that even hinted toward poverty on that channel. The homes were spectacular and the sheer number of boats in the water was amazing.  I asked myself, “How many millions of dollars are represented by all these houses and boats?” I thought about all the great things that could be done to improve a small town in Haiti with the funds that were being spent on the Grand Haven water that day. Images of poverty filled my memory banks as I cracked open a cold beverage and grabbed handful of pretzels. “What are we doing?” I chipped inside my head. “There are people dying of starvation and Cholera and we’re sitting in a boat three times the size of a Haitian house. This seems unjust to me, God.”
Years ago, my struggle would have been different. Instead of wrestling with social justice, I would have been lured into envy. My questions would have been, “Why does my buddy get a cool boat and I don’t?” But on that day, I was clamoring for answers to age-old questions about why some people have abundance and others have almost nothing. For a few moments, I even considered espousing Communism as a reasonable solution to evening the global economic playing field. But as Adlai Stevenson once said, “Communism is the corruption of a dream for justice.” On that beautiful boat on a perfect day on Lake Michigan my soul fought to understand global economic justice. I was happy for my friend who could afford his boat, and was making a very hospitable effort to bless us that day. But I had just spent time at a church whose people needed water, but couldn’t drill a well as it was too deep and too expensive. How do I reconcile both of these worlds? Do I, should I, can I… reconcile these polarities?
I think Paul’s words fit well into this discussion. They don’t answer all my social injustice questions, but they do give me a guide on how I’m to view wealth.
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
1 Timothy 6.17-19

Paul gives some principles to guide our thoughts in this regard. Take some time to think on these this week. Be careful to apply them only to your situation and not to evaluate other people’s economic place in this world.

1.       Wealth is not the problem, hope in wealth is. When we place our hope in material things rather than in God, we miss the mark. and can become filled with pride. 

2.       Wealth needs to be handled humbly and temporally. It may come and go.

3.       Wealth is a gift from God that he gives us permission to enjoy.

4.       The gift of wealth is given to be shared and good things are to be done for others with our our abundance.

5.       This question of social injustice is answered in eternity. There are greater blessings in heaven for those who invest their earthly wealth in spiritual endeavors.
Remember, if you own or rent a home and have a car to drive, you are in top 95% of wealthy people in the world.  How will you handle your wealth? 




No comments:

Post a Comment