Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mixed Motives


This morning, I found myself reflecting on some of my early impressions of the Bible when I was a kid. We just finished our first Men’s Bible Study of the fall—beginning the New Testament Challenge at Ada Bible Church. One of our discussion questions this morning was, “What place did the Bible have in your home growing up?” Rich, a guy across the table from me, answered first. He talked about growing up in a home where the Bible wasn’t present all. He really didn’t know much about it until well into his adult life. Mark, who sat next to Rich, answered next. He talked about the Bible being part of virtually everything in his childhood home. He said they read the Bible together and he was taught to memorize verses of the Bible on a regular basis. It was interesting to watch Rich listen to Mark. There seemed to be a sense of appropriate envy in Rich’s eyes as Mark talked about growing up knowing about the Bible, and starting his journey in the Scriptures early in life. Rich asked Mark, “So, do you think learning all those things about the Bible as a kid has helped you as an adult?” Mark said he still has a lot to learn but he was very grateful to have that in his background.
When it was my time to share, I resonated with Mark’s story. I grew up in a pastor’s home with a Bible on every shelf. Learning the Bible was a big deal in our household. It was read after every meal we ate together. We listened to records and cassette tapes of Bible stories. We even played Bible board games. All of this was good, but there were some ploys of learning that actually fed a darker side of me. I was a competitive kid, so I was easily motivated to learn when a tasty reward was offered. It’s amazing how many Bible verses I memorized in response to the promise of a Snickers bar. If the reward was big enough, I’d go for it. I memorized verses with the simple motivation of winning.
But I was also a kid who craved approval and applause which fed another dark area of my young soul. The feeling of getting called up on stage to receive an award for memorizing the most verses during a week of Vacation Bible School was intoxicating to me. The result was that I could prolifically rattle off Bible verse after Bible verse, but I cared little about what they meant and what they were intended to say to me. That was my perception of the Bible as a kid. It was a way to achieve awards, candy, applause, and affirmation.

After I mentioned this to the group this morning, Rich smiled and said to me, “Wow, isn’t it cool how God has a way of even using our poor motives to teach us about him?” He was right. I had learned a ton about the Bible and God even though my heart was selfish and self-promoting. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to promote bribing kids with candy to learn about God. I’m just suggesting that God wants to be known by us so much that he’s willing to use our jaded and tainted motives to reveal himself to us. In the long run, all those Bible verses and trivia nuggets would benefit me as I matured into a Christian adult. I look back with gratitude that my parents and my church loved me enough to give me opportunities to learn about God and his Word. I’m also grateful that he’s matured my heart to wanting the Bible to transform me, rather than just inform me.

Early in Israel’s history, God desired to give them a unique identity that would stand out in front of all nations on the earth. Their identity would be forged through the commandments he gave them. In following God’s law, Israel would express the rich character of God. In order to do this, God’s Word would need to be deeply imbedded in their hearts and minds. Here’s what God tells them to do with his Word.

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6.4-9 
As you step into week two of the New Testament Challenge, ask yourself, “Why am I reading today?” Then thoughtfully examine your motives. Yes, God can use our mixed motives, but how much greater will this experience be when we approach God’s written Word with a pure heart?  

No comments:

Post a Comment