Monday, October 15, 2012

The Best Meal


It was one of those things that I’ve put in the “it seemed like a good idea at the time” category. It was one of those “guy adventure” ideas that a friend dreamed up. Several years ago, I was asked to go on a hunting trip on North Manitou Island in northern Michigan. It was sold as a challenge of my manhood, an adventure of hunting, camping, hiking, living on little, going in the woods…  all that cool “man stuff.” I signed on with three other guys all wanting to test their testosterone levels in the wilderness.
This trip had unique challenges that needed some planning. First, you were only allowed to bring what you could carry on your back. This forced us to make critical decisions about what was really needed and what should be left at home. Hunting gear, by nature, is bulky and heavy, so we had to plan our food and clothing to be as minimal as possible. We packed high protein prepackaged hiking meals that required a little water and some heat to be ready. Our trip was to be four days and four nights and we planned only enough food to get to that final day. Secondly, we were to be dropped off by a boat on Wednesday and picked up on Sunday. Only an emergency would bring that boat to the island any earlier. It was clear that the boat would only come on Sunday if weather permitted. Third, the deer population on the island had been greatly diminished in recent years. Hunting would be difficult.
Our trip began on a beautiful late-October day. The trip to the island was smooth and our initial hike to the first campsite went fairly easily. We set up camp and began to discuss how we’d approach the next few days on the island. However, throughout the afternoon, we noticed the wind picking up. It was gentle but constant. We had brought tarps and ropes to make a covering for our little campsite just in case it rained. The breeze made this project a challenge; but with the tarps in place, we felt good about being able to endure the elements. Typically as evening approaches, winds diminish—but not in this case—that evening, the winds increased. And, for the next three days the winds increased even more while the temperatures fell. By Friday, the winds were constant at 40 mph and temperatures had dropped from the 50s into the 30s. This was truly an adventure, but one we had planned for.
Food became an issue for me during that time. I hated the food I brought, it all tasted like cardboard. The meals were too small and tasted terrible. Even worse, by Saturday evening, I had run out. With the wind and the weather as they were, we started to doubt if our Sunday departure was going to happen as waves climbed to 8-10 feet. We knew that no help was coming until the weather broke. I was hungry. I was sick of camp food. I wanted to go home, get warm and get some good food in me. I climbed into my sleeping bag on Saturday night not expecting the boat to arrive on Sunday. I’d be in survival mode until the weather changed.
To my surprise, Sunday was the most beautiful day of the week. Skies were clear and the wind had stopped. We packed our gear up and headed to the dock. The sight of the boat on the horizon was so welcomed. And as the boat pulled off the island, I started to plan my first meal. I was so hungry for good food that would fill my stomach. I was determined to stop at the first fast-food restaurant I saw on the drive home. That Big Mac was some of the best tasting food I’ve ever enjoyed. I ate it slowly, savoring every greasy morsel.
The Bible is filled with imagery about eating. I love that! Food is something I can really relate to. I need it, want it and really enjoy it—too much at times. So, when illustrations of food come up, I take notice. This one is fun. What is going on with the meal given by God to the prophet Ezekiel?
And he said to me, “Son of man, eat what is before you, eat this scroll; then go and speak to the people of Israel.” So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat.
Then he said to me, “Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it.” So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth.  Ezekiel 3.1-3
God is giving Ezekiel a huge task—an adventure that would stretch him—an adventure that may not go well. Ezekiel is to go to the nation of Israel which has lost their land and freedom because of many years of sin and disobedience to God. They are exiled. God instructs Ezekiel to tell the Israelites to turn from their sin and follow God again. But God doesn’t promise Ezekiel that they’ll listen and take heed of God’s message. This is a tough task: deliver a message to a group of people who may not want to hear what needs to be said. But before Ezekiel goes, God gives him a scroll to eat. Seems a little too high fiber for me. I would bet it tasted a lot like cardboard but to Ezekiel, it tasted sweet, like honey.
There’s some beautiful symbolism here that we can draw from. God uses his written Word to nourish his prophet before a big task. God’s Word is to be consumed, digested and turned into productive energy. And for those craving direction and guidance for a tough task, it tastes sweet. It’s to be savored and enjoyed.
What tough task has God given you? What unexpected adventure are you on? Maybe this week we need to eat our copies of The Books of the Bible. Well, not literally. But, can we read as if we are ingesting the nourishment of life from God. Savor it. Enjoy the honey in the words this week. Find the power and the energy to do what’s needed even if it’s tough.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment