Friday, November 9, 2012

Hearing and Doing

My mom used to say, “Learn to play an instrument that you can play in church.” As a kid, I always had the fascination of being able to play guitar or drums but my parent discouraged this dream. You need to know that I grew up in a very conservative, rural church community where guitars and drums were trumped by organs and pianos. So, as a kid, I learned to play the cornet. Ironically, I haven’t seen a cornet in a long time on the stage of my church; and my days of playing the cornet have long passed.
Music has changed and so has the church in regards to music. But, my little dream of learning to play guitar or drums still lingers in my soul. From time to time during worship at a weekend service, my heart drifts away from the lyrics of the song we’re singing and I find myself just watching the musicians do their work. They make it look so easy and I wonder what it would be like to create the rhythms and rifts that they do so naturally.
A couple months ago, I had the privilege of being at a small group retreat where a friend of mine led us in worship. Eric is a gifted worship leader who beautifully played his acoustic guitar to guide us into meaningful moments as we sang worship songs. When our worship time was done, Eric and I had a chance to chat about music, worship and the art of playing the guitar. I told him about my latent dream to learn to play and how fascinated I’ve been over the years with people who do it well. He asked, “So, have you ever tried? Do you own a guitar?” I told him I had, but not with much consistency or effort. I do own a guitar but it has resided quietly in my basement going untouched for many years.
Eric asked if I had ever taken lessons or spent time with someone willing to show me some of the basics to get started. I said I hadn’t but often taught that would be a good idea. I fully expected that to be the end of the conversation but Eric pushed it further. He said, “If you have some time, I’d be willing to help you learn.” He even suggested some times and places. I felt honored to be offered such a kind gift but I found myself awkwardly trying to find reasons to say, “thanks, but no thanks.” Eric got the hint. I think he figured out that I was more intrigued by the idea of being a guitar player, than I was really interested in pursuing it. Later I privately wondered why I balked at the chance to pursue a dream. In reality, I think I just want to be a good guitar player rather than wanting to learn and practice to become a good guitar player.
Unfortunately, I think we often treat our pursuit of following Christ the same way. God enters our life through salvation and then he tells us to be his followers in all areas of our life. He wants us to look and live like him. But then we realize that we are far from that goal and it will take time, effort, and practice for us to live as God desires. He offers us help through his Spirit and his Word yet we struggle to commit to the effort and pursuit. This, I think, is why James penned these words. He knew the human heart had the tendency to hear but not do, to dream but not pursue, and to be informed but not transformed.
But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it. James 1.22-25 NLT
As I’ve read my way through the New Testament Challenge this fall, I’ve become aware again the Bible offers a ton to learn and know. It’s overwhelming at times. There’s so much to digest, understand, and to discuss in just the NT. But, if I’m not diligent to read with an open heart, I may just leave this valuable information in my head and never allow it to help me be truly transformed. I find it interesting that James follows his discussion about hearing and doing with some hard hitting comments about how we are to use our mouths, and what genuine religion really looks like. It’s as if James is saying, “You’ve heard, now let me give you something to do! You understand, now get busy. ”
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. James 1.26-27




No comments:

Post a Comment